If you don't see a menu on the left,  Click here to go to the Celebrity Menu.


Sid  Luckman
Sid Luckman, left the Steelers in 1939 then led the Chicago Bears to four NFL championships in the 1940s

   had the good fortune to spend a week end with Sid Luckman at the La Costa Resort near San Diego. I met him through Donjo Medlevine, owner of Marquee Enterprises. Donjo was one of the three men who owned the Chez Paree in Chicago. They were good friends. We drove down in the Rolls Royce Phantom Five that Sid is leaning on. Everything good ever said about Sid Luckman is true. We watched Angie Dickenson and Pancho Gonzales playing tennis. Below these photos is some information on Sid.  

Sid Luckman
 at the La Costa Resort in California. The car is a Rolls Royce, Phantom V limousine. 


Sid Luckman

Regular Season 
Year Team  	 Cmp	Att   	Yds  	TD	Int
1939, Chi   	  23	51  	636  	5           4
1940, Chi   	  48  	105   	941  	4   	9
1941, Chi   	  68  	119  	1181   	9   	6
1942, Chi   	  57  	105  	1024  	10  	13
1943, Chi   	 110  	202  	2194  	28  	12
1944, Chi   	  71  	143  	1018  	11  	12
1945, Chi   	 117	217  	1727  	14  	10
1946, Chi   	 110  	229  	1826  	17	16
1947, Chi   	 176  	323  	2712  	24  	31
1948, Chi   	  89  	163  	1047  	13  	14
1949, Chi   	  22   	50   	200   	1   	3
1950, Chi   	  13   	37   	180   	1   	2
Totals     	 904 	1744 	14686 	137 	132

Totals     	  45 	86   	742   	7   	4

CHICAGO (July 6, 1998 09:39 a.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) -- 
Hall of Fame quarterback Sid Luckman once said he wanted three sentences on his tombstone: "He had it all. He did it all. He loved it all."

Luckman, who led the Chicago Bears to four NFL championships in the 1940s, died Sunday at Aventura Hospital in North Miami Beach, Fla. He was 81.

Family members told the Chicago Tribune that Luckman died of a heart attack. He also had been suffering from pneumonia, the newspaper said Monday.

A nursing supervisor, who refused to give her name, confirmed Luckman had been a patient at Aventura, but declined to give the cause of his death.

In his 12 seasons with the Bears, Luckman became the team's career leader in touchdown passes with 137, passing yards with 14,686 and touchdown passes in a single game -- seven at New York's Polo Grounds on Nov. 14, 1943.

"I personally knew Sid for 47 years, and everything good that's come to me and my family was because of him," Jim Dooley, a former Bears receiver, head coach and assistant coach told the Tribune. "He was good to everyone."

"He donated to so many charities," Luckman's daughter, Ellen Gardner, told the paper from Miami. "To colleges like Northwestern ... to Mayo Clinic to a foundation to train doctors."

Born in New York in 1916, Luckman attended Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn. He then went to Columbia University where he earned All-America status as a senior in 1938.

Luckman made the cover of Life Magazine in his senior year, with the headline, "Best Passer," printed under his picture.

Bears owner George Halas traded two players and a draft choice to Pittsburgh in 1939 to acquire the 5-foot-11 inch, 190-pound single-wing tailback. Halas offered Luckman the highest salary ever paid by the team at the time, $5,000 a year, and then converted him into the game's first nationally acclaimed T-formation quarterback.

"In Sid, we created a new type of football player, the T-quarterback," Halas once said. "Newspapers switched their attention from the star runners to the quarterbacks. It marked a new era for the game."

Luckman played his first game against the New York Giants in 1939, a 16-14 loss.

"You'll never know the emotion, stress," Luckman once said of that game. "That had to be the most emotional time in my football history. My family, my friends from college, the Columbia coaches, the dean of the college ... they were all at the game."

In 1940, Luckman led Bears to a 73-0 victory over Washington in the NFL championship games. More titles followed in 1941, 1943 and 1946.

Luckman was selected All-NFL five times and was the 1943 Most Valuable Player. He was inducted into the Pro Football's Hall of Fame in 1965.

When he stopped playing in 1950, Luckman's salary was $23,000, matched only by Redskins quarterback Sammy Baugh.

He then began a 14-year part-time coaching career for the Bears and other teams Halas wanted to teach about the T-formation. Luckman never accepted a coaching salary from the Bears.

"I can never repay the Bears for making my life a more enchanting life," said Luckman, who worked for Cellu-Craft Inc.

In 1946, he bought a half interest in the company, which manufactured wrapping materials for companies such as Kraft Foods, Quaker Oats, Sara Lee, Superior Coffee and Morton International.

"George Halas told us that football was a means to an end," Luckman said of activities after retiring from the game. "All of us had to seek a way to keep up our income, because you never really know in professional football what could happen on any given Sunday."

Luckman underwent triple bypass surgery in 1982 and spent recent years in retirement in Florida.

He is survived by a son and two daughters. His wife, Estelle, died of cancer in 1981.

Funeral services were scheduled for Wednesday at Piser Original Weinstein chapel in Chicago.

By ALEXANDRA ZAVIS, The Associated Press